Read Time: 10 minutes
Welcome to the first blog post on Green Life Dreams. 🤗 For a more formal description of this blog, please refer to the website ABOUT page. For a more informal intro, see below.
Welcome! Let’s start off on the right foot here… there are some things you need to know about me and my blog. I can’t fit all of my trash from the past 3 months in a mason jar. I don’t buy organic everything and I don’t have a sky-is-the-limits budget that lets me spend fortunes on the most “green” items out there.
Reducing plastic from our lives is a journey that will be easy at times and really hard at other times. It might seem trivial one day and meaningless the next. You either want to do it or you don’t, but its your choice. And once you decide, I will be here to listen when you want to brag on a personal victory or encourage you to hang in there when you’re just over it.
I hope that as I share experiences from my plastic reducing journey you will be inspired to do your part too! I will be the first to admit that I don’t have it all together… Sometimes when I go to the store I forget my reusable shopping bags at home and think “It’s one more plastic bag… just use it.” But then I immediately follow that thought up with “This is a teachable moment, Meagan.”
If you are thinking “Are those her groceries just sitting in the back of her car?” or “Is she really buying Lunchables for herself?” You would be correct. I went through the self check out at Target, unloaded my cart while scanning my groceries, loaded everything back into my cart, got told by the self checkout lady that I don’t have to pay for plastic bags at this location, and then finally unloaded all of my groceries into my car.
But you know what? It really wasn’t that bad and it would have been a whole lot better if I would have just remembered my reusable bags. 🤓 When it comes down to it… I want to make a change and sometimes that means making sacrifices and doing things a little different than we are used to.
be. the. change.
8* reasons that pull at my heartstrings, making me want to reduce my plastic use and start this blog are as follows (in no particular order):
1) I love eating fish! I don’t want those little guys eating plastic because then I am indirectly eating plastic. NOT GOOD! Wait, is the fish I’m eating sustainably raised?
2) Pictures of sea animals with plastic hindering their well being. We’ve all seen the sea turtle with the straw being removed from its nose, right?
3) The ignored murder of the GBR (Great Barrier Reef). It didn’t happen over night! Why didn’t we do more to stop this? Oh, we’re a selfish people you say?
4) Being a part of a movement with so much HOPE and CHANGE on the horizon.
5) Trying to imagine how much plastic and other trash the human population uses literally makes my head explode. Why do we act like this is ok? Plastic, its been great but I’m starting to realize our relationship is unhealthy. It’s not you, its me. Wait, no.. its you.
6) I’m a minimilist at heart.
7) 2017 is in the past and 2018 needs to bring some change. I am ready to do my part. #2018ForTheWin #WeNeedThisOne ✌🏻❤️
8) ECO over EGO – I saw this post recently on Racing Extinction’s Instagram and it stuck with me.
*8 reasons felt right...if you know my husband and I, 8 is his number and it has carried over to our relationship.